President Obama grabbed the Chinese President Hu bull by the horns of his state visit by emphasizing the importance of universal human rights.
President Hu slapped him back with a request to respect his nation’s core interests offering that he would extend the same courtesy.
Normally these things are handled with penis measuring contests, but Hu explicitly negotiated dick size out as terms for his visit.
Here’s China’s take on U.S. human rights record which they issue because the U.S. State Department’s assessment of China pisses them off:
At a time when the world is suffering a serious human rights disaster caused by the US subprime crisis-induced global financial crisis, the US government still ignores its own serious human rights problems but revels in accusing other countries. It is really a pity.” (China Daily)
Ok. That hurts my feelings. Especially that condescending afterthought “It is really a pity.”
While the State Department is critical of China, it ain’t no thang compared to Amnesty International’s report:
- Freedom of expression in general and online in the shitter.
- Freedom of the press in the shitter.
- Freedom to associate with others…not so much.
- Tibetans, Falun-Gong, Catholics, and Protestants…persecuted.
- Torture a problem.
- Death while in custody…a big problem.
- Detention without trial…also a problem.
Well. If nations were penises, China would win. They’re bigger.