If your business is suffering because of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, there is some recourse. BP will pay some compensation for your losses. First, you call BP at 1-800-573-8249 for a claim number. Here is a list of the some of the records you’ll need:
- Tax Records
- Profits and Loss forms from the Income Tax Statement
- Monthly records from 2008 and 2009
- Revenue records from 2010
- Copies of all cancellations (i.e. hotel)
- Rates, brochures with rates
- Occupancy count for May (i.e. hotel)
- Expense Records from 2008, 2009, and 2010
- Business license (copy)
- Driver License (copy)
My family’s business is hospitality. If yours is a seafood restaurant, not to worry, BP will tell you the specifics when you call for your claim number. The maximum dollar amount for losses is $5,000….which is a pittance if your monthly revenue is $30K. But if you’re a small business, you know some help is better than none. Laid-off employees can be compensated up to $700 a month.
BP is not asking you to sign anything if you’re worried they’ll sneak some fine print in on you.