President Barack Obama signs an executive order to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
“By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, in order to effect the appropriate disposition of individuals currently detained by the Department of Defense at the Guantánamo Bay Naval Base (Guantánamo) and promptly to close detention facilities at Guantánamo, consistent with the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States and the interests of justice”
Also off the table with a swift stroke of Obama’s mighty pen:
- forcing the detainee to be naked, perform sexual acts, or pose in a sexual manner: Boff!!!
- placing hoods or sacks over the head of a detainee; using duct tape over the eyes. Zlonk!
- applying beatings, electric shock, burns, or other forms of physical pain;
- waterboarding; FLrbBbB!!!
- using military working dogs;
- inducing hypothermia or heat injury;
- conducting mock executions;
- depriving the detainee of necessary food, water, or medical care. Bang-eth!
And CIA Black Sites for disappearing suspects: chop!!
MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow expresses concern that a review of the techniques found in the Army Field Manuel may amount to an asterisk to the orders. Obama is commissioning a task force to study the effectiveness of Field Manual techniques. She’s also worried that detention without trial will continue. And what about Bagram?