Monday in Bush’s final press conference, he falsely equated a successful, rapid response with the removal of 30,000 people from their roof tops after the levees broke. I touched on this earlier, MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow reviews the public record.
Here’s the reality:
- National Guard arrived 2 days after the flooding
- It took 6 days for FEMA to organize buses out of the city
- FEMA ice trucks meant to provide relief were rerouted to Georgia, SC, and Maine
- Those stranded had no food or water.
- FEMA Dir. Michael Brown was not apprised of survivors stranded at the Convention Center.
- Bush ate cake and played country music star while these Americans faced catastrophic suffering
- Foreign aid was never utilized
- Chertoff did not know for days that the levees broke
Rachel interviews Jed Horne, a newspaper editor who won a Pulitzer for his Katrina coverage: